[Ads-l] troops

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 18 21:18:08 UTC 2016

"Very condescending" is about right, but it can/could also be mildly
humorous:

1948 Robert Lowry in _Cross Section_ IV 97 [ref. to WWII]: "You look like a
real combat troop, _amico_," Joe said.

1958 Rutherford Montgomery & Grover Heiman _Jet Navigator_ (Dodd, Mead,
1959) 94: This troop looks shook, Skin.

JL