[Ads-l] Amelioration of "notoriety"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 23 22:17:27 UTC 2016

"Notoriety" for me (and, I believe, most people ) is negative or (perhaps)
slightly or humorously ambivalent.

The _Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus_ (2004) offers the following
synonyms (only) for "notoriety":

"infamy, disrepute, ill repute, bad name, dishonor, discredit; _dated_ ill
fame." "Positive" notoriety used to be called fame, celebrity, renown,
public recognition,  prominence, eminence, greatness, stature, repute,
stardom, popularity, etc.

Seems like plenty to choose from. Positive "notoriety" strikes me as an
intentionally playful usage of the _People_ magazine type: cf. "infamous."

II

For "notorious," Oxford gives

"infamous, scandalous; well known, famous, famed, legendary."

A typical context is given as "_a notorious gunman of the Old West_."

But I doubt one would speak of "the notorious ['legendary'] King Arthur,"
"the notorious ['famous'] Abraham Lincoln," or "Robert Frost's notorious
['well known']  'Stopping by Woods."

Or am I misusing the Thesaurus?

JL