[Ads-l] Amelioration of "notoriety"

Sat Sep 24 01:40:40 UTC 2016

Here is an instance of "notoriety" in 1938 that I believe has a
positive denotation. Of course, this use may have been uncommon.

Date: March 29, 1938
Newspaper: Daily News Standard (The Evening Standard)
Newspaper Location: Uniontown, Pennsylvania
Article: Carmichaels Cadet Drum and Bugle Corps To Celebrate Anniversary
Author: William Deems
Quote Page 3, Column 4
Database: Newspapers.com

The word "Firemen's" was misspelled "Fiermen's". Also, "arrangements"
was misspelled "arangements".

https://www.newspapers.com/image/15413101/?terms=%22notoriety%2Band%2Bacclaim%22

[Begin excerpt]
During the year 1938, the corps made great progress, appearing at the
State Legion convention at Johnstown, only to be disqualified for a
prize because their white duck trousers were not considered part of a
uniform; and at Connellsville where they appeared in the State
Volunteer Fiermen's convention winning much notoriety and acclaim with
their intricate drills and musical arangements.
[End excerpt]

Garson