[Ads-l] "man" avoidance

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Mon Sep 26 05:50:04 UTC 2016

I find myself in the uncomfortable position of agreeing with both Jon and
Flourish, though neither seem to be quite agreeing with the other.

*My* problem with this thread is that it's generating too many off-spins in my
head, which I don't have time to trace, since I have to have the Norris Murder
solved by midnight on Wednesday.

But briefly, on Jon's TMI, since it's, I'd agree [think! --"agree" is a
weasel-way of levering an unwarranted statement about the motives of the
original speaker into the dialogue], an Important Issue.

When is TMI not TMI?

Reason I say this, is that seconds before I write this, I'd spent more time than
it deserved on the following footnote:

"ESTC Citation No. R177278, via the British Library (http://estc.bl.uk).  Future
references, where appropriate, will be given in the form, "ESTC [NUMBER].  The
English Short Title Catalogue usefully provides full publication details of,
among other things, the physical format of the work, in this case, "1 sheet ([2]
p.) ;  1/2⁰," which expands to, "A two-page work printed on both sides of a
single folio sheet."

TMI or EI?  You tell me, sunny jim.

Robin