[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] Re: "man" avoidance

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 26 17:21:33 UTC 2016

"_A Horse's Mouth_, by a man named Joyce Cary" seems worth writing only if
the author's sex is important enough to highlight at the book's first
mention. It also suggests that there's no way the reader could be expected
to know that Cary was a man, and he/she/they better be told right now.
(Personally I prefer generic "he" : so sue me. Plural "readers...they"
would also obviously work, but "the reader" is an established convention
and I see no advantage in pandering to the trendy essentialism that finds
"you guys" to be sexist.)

"_A Horse's Mouth_, by Joyce Cary" would ordinarily be enough. If
identifying Cary's sex is important but not central, it can be done later,
even later in the same sentence.

JL