[Ads-l] ESTC and TMI [Was: "man" avoidance]

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Mon Sep 26 20:52:50 UTC 2016

Ift EI means essential information, then for some not TMI but EI.

As the footnote says, "usefully".  If one is interested in different imprints or different impressions, then the citation number is a more specific entry point to the ESTC than author/title, and the physical format information may be helpful.

P.S.  I wonder if the explanation "1 sheet ([2] p.) ;  1/2⁰," which expands to, "A two-page work printed on both sides of a single folio sheet" is correct.  One sheet of two pages would not fit the meaning of "folio" as "one sheet folded"; that would be four pages.

I don't know what the "1/2⁰" means, unless perhaps "a half sheet" (in which case the footnote explanation seems again wrong).  A half-sheet with two pages (two printed sides) could be produced from a full sheet by taking one impression, then turning the sheet over reversing it end to end for a second impression, then cutting the full sheet in half to produce two identical copies.  (In 18th-century Boston, four-page newspapers were produced like this, only with the two impressions being pages 1 & 4 and then 2 & 3, and folded rather than cut.)

Joel

      From: Robin Hamilton <robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM>

When is TMI not TMI?

Reason I say this, is that seconds before I write this, I'd spent more time than
it deserved on the following footnote:

"ESTC Citation No. R177278, via the British Library (http://estc.bl.uk).  Future
references, where appropriate, will be given in the form, "ESTC [NUMBER].  The
English Short Title Catalogue usefully provides full publication details of,
among other things, the physical format of the work, in this case, "1 sheet ([2]
p.) ;  1/2⁰," which expands to, "A two-page work printed on both sides of a
single folio sheet."

TMI or EI?  You tell me, sunny jim.

Robin