[Ads-l] sympagic (sea ice habitat)

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Mon Apr 3 15:30:53 UTC 2017

This 1992 cite has some background, and tends to confirm Ben's suggestion about the 1977 article:

R. Horner, et al., "Ecology of sea ice biota - 1. Habitat, terminology, and methodology" _ Polar Biology_ September 1992, Volume 12, Issue 3, p. 419
"Many terms have been used to describe the sea ice biota . . .  Epontic, meaning "being on", (but sometimes defined as "out of the sea", e.g., Whitaker 1977) has been used in much of the literature since it was first suggested by Bunt and Wood (1963) for attached or nonattached diatoms found in Antarctic sea ice. However, it has also been used for organisms attached to substrates other than ice (Crosby and Wood 1959). Further, it is not a suitable term to describe motile organisms, such as foraminiferans, ciliates, copepods, and amphipods. Because organisms from both the benthos and the plankton live in the ice, descriptive terminology should be very broad (Carey 1985). We therefore strongly suggest that epontic no longer be used for ice organisms. Instead, we propose that sympagic, meaning "with ice", be used in the same context as pelagic or benthic. Sympagic has been used previously for both plants (Whitaker 1977) and animals (Carey 1985) living in or associated with sea ice and, at present, is the most appropriate term to include all these organisms (Garrison 1991)."
[note that the OED does not have an entry for epontic, but does include it in a quotation under "phytoplankton"]