[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Garson O'Toole on NPR

Wed Apr 5 17:08:33 UTC 2017

Thank you for the congratulations and for pointing to the NPR website.
The producers and the hosts put together a great piece discussing
misquotations and the purpose of the book.

I also recently spoke to a journalist working for the VICE media
empire. A condensed transcription of the interview was published here:

Website: VICE
Article: All Your Favorite Famous Quotations Are Fake
Interviewer: Harry Cheadle
Date: April 3 2017
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/all-your-favorite-famous-quotations-are-fake

In March I spoke to a journalist at the Quartz website, and an article
was published here:

Website: Quartz
Article: Like Donald Trump, you may be misattributing your favorite
quotes or proverbs
Author: Lila MacLellan
Date: March 17, 2017

https://qz.com/934226/gandhi-probably-never-said-that-profound-quote-you-love-to-share/

The Quote Investigator is periodically mentioned by news
organizations. For example, CNN highlighted a tweet I made on March
17, 2017. The tweet described a discovery made by Ben Zimmer:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/17/politics/trumps-irish-proverb-nigerian-poem/

The goal of the pseudonym was to project a singular identity. This
follows the tradition of newspaper columnist pen names such as Ann
Landers and Abigail Van Buren.

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful research help you have provided
over the years.

Garson

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 10:18 AM, MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY
RDECOM AMRDEC (US) <william.d.mullins18.civ at mail.mil> wrote:
> If they used Garson's real picture, we'd be able to find out his real identity.  (I think he is comedic actor Larry Storch.  But I could be wrong.)
>

>> On Apr 5, 2017, at 9:00 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>>
>> All active links contained in this email were disabled.  Please verify the identity of the sender, and confirm the authenticity of all links contained within the message prior to copying and pasting the address to a Web browser.
>>

>> ----
>>
>> I second Fred's congratulations, Garson!
>>
>> But why does NPR picture Hemingway and not you?
>>
>> JL
>>
>>> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 6:59 AM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yesterday NPR's "All Things Considered" show covered Garson O'Toole's
>>> sensational new book, Hemingway Didn't Say That.  I expect there will be a
>>> lot more well-deserved publicity for the book.  Congratulations, Garson!
>>>

>>> Caution-http://www.npr.org/2017/04/04/522581148/hemingway-didnt-say-
>>> that-and-neither-did-twain-or-kafka?utm_source=twitter.com&

>>> 9924bc1e279c46e591a6648d8cf9ad419d720d0d.jpg?s=1400]<Caution-http://
>>> Caution-www.npr.org/2017/04/04/522581148/hemingway-didnt-say-