[Ads-l] Original Strand Magazine issues

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Thu Apr 6 20:35:15 UTC 2017

I apologize to Hollis, Peter, and Garson for a blunder that has led them down a false path.  What I am looking for is the tale "The Adventure of the Cardboard Box".  "His Last Bow" is one of the collections it was ... um, collected in, presumably in 1917.  So I am looking for the first publication in the Strand Magazine of  "The Adventure of the Cardboard Box", I believe in 1892.  (See Wikipedia's article, which however does not identify the specific 1892 issue and later only discusses the complex history of when and in what collection it was placed in the U.K. and the U.S.A.)

Joel

      From: ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Thursday, April 6, 2017 3:54 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Original Strand Magazine issues

Joel Berson wrote:
> Can someone tell me how and where I can find online Arthur Conan
< Doyle's "His Last Bow" as originally published in the Strand Magazine?
>  This was perhaps published in the Strand under the generic title "The
> Adventures of Sherlock Holmes," which is making my effort to locate it
> (in ProQuest British Periodicals) tedious.  I believe it was published in
> 1892; I'm confused as to whether that is vol. 2 or vols. 3--4.

Here is one strategy. First search in Wikipedia and find the article
about the short story. Notice that it was published in September 1917
issue of "The Strand" according to the Wikipedians.(Independent
evidence is needed.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Last_Bow_(short_story)

Go to the bottom of the article and click on the link that leads to
the full text.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/His_Last_Bow.-_The_War_Service_of_Sherlock_Holmes

Select a distinctive phrase from the full text to construct a search
query. Search in Google Books and determine that the pertinent issue
seems to be available only via snippets. Conclude that Google lawyers
are concerned about copyrights for UK publications.

Switch to HathiTrust and find the story in "The Strand". Here are two
pertinent links:

https://hdl.handle.net/2027/coo.31924066351556
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/coo.31924066351556?urlappend=%3Bseq=231

Garson