[Ads-l] "Go ahead--make my day"

Tue Apr 11 15:44:41 UTC 2017

A 2002 obituary in the New York Times mentioned the name of another
writer, Dean Riesner, who has claimed credit for the line. Below is an
excerpt discussing two famous lines uttered by the Harry Callahan
character.

Date: September 2, 2002
Newspaper: New York Times
Article: Dean Riesner, 83, Who Knew How Tough Guys Talk, Dies
Author: Douglas Martin

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/02/arts/dean-riesner-83-who-knew-how-tough-guys-talk-dies.html

[Begin excerpt]
Mr. Riesner often contributed to Eastwood films, but the Hollywood
penchant for putting a script through multiple rewrites sometimes made
it difficult to prove who wrote what. Mr. Riesner contended that he
had thought up Mr. Eastwood's famous line, ''Go ahead, make my day,''
for the 1976 movie ''The Enforcer,'' in which it was not used. Mr.
Eastwood uttered it onscreen seven years later in ''Sudden Impact,'' a
movie on which Mr. Riesner did not work.

Another famous line came in ''Dirty Harry,'' a 1971 film for which Mr.
Riesner rewrote the script. Later, another writer, John Milius, came
in to again rework the script. Both men have publicly claimed credit
for the line.

It occurs when ''Dirty'' Harry Callahan, the character played by Mr.
Eastwood, appears at the scene of a foiled bank robbery. Casually
eating a hot dog, he takes out his gun and picks off the scattering
felons until one remains.

Grunting out his words, Callahan says: ''Uh-huh. I know what you're
thinking. Did he fire six shots or five? Well, to tell you the truth,
I forgot myself in all this excitement.

''But being as this is the .44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in
the world, and could blow your head clean off, you have to ask
yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?''
[End excerpt]

Garson