[Ads-l] Quip: insurmountable opportunity (Request help)

Tue Apr 11 18:47:46 UTC 2017

In 1965 Norton Mockridge who was a columnist with the N.Y. World
Telegram published a book titled "Fractured English". In 1967 he
stated that the line "This presents an insurmountable opportunity" was
an example of fractured English. Back in January while composing a
message for this mailing list I deferred to Mockridge's judgement and
used the label he specified.

[ref] 1967 March 15, Akron Beacon Journal, Some Opportunities Can't Be
Overcome by Norton Mockridge (Syndicated), Quote Page G12, Column 1,
Akron, Ohio. (Newspapers_com)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Roy Ruffus of Codella Duffus Baker Inc. is the man who told me about
the next few lines of Fractured English and so when Sam Nuspliger, the
man who allegedly uttered them, comes after me with a shotgun, I think
he should visit Duffus first.

Anyway, Duffus says that Sam, of Lippincott & Margulies, once told his
associates about a certain situation and said: "This presents an
insurmountable opportunity." On another occasion, speaking as an
advertising agent when shown a client's new product, Sam reportedly
said: "This fills a much-needed void."
[End excerpt]

Garson