[Ads-l] Paul Revere Quote

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 14 06:47:53 UTC 2017

Contemporary accounts refer to the British troops as "the Regulars" or, less frequently as the "British troops".  The Americans were referred to as the militia or "the Provincials" or "American troops".
________________________________
From: W Brewer<mailto:brewerwa at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: ‎4/‎13/‎2017 23:14
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Paul Revere Quote

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM>

JB:  <<The British troops in Boston were I think commonly referred to as
"regulars", perhaps because that term referred to the "standing army" that
the colonials were so antagonistic to, especially when imposed on their
soil.  >>
WB:  Once upon a time, US Army personnel were given a service number
consisting of letter-prefix followed by 8 numbers; RA standing for "Regular
Army". Draftees, on the other hand, were distinguished by a US prefix.
IIRC, National Guard (NG) and Reserve troops were also discriminated by
separate prefices. Later, SSAN was used, and I couldn't tell who was friend
or foe anymore.