[Ads-l] Quote: The pleasure is momentary, the position ridiculous, and the expense damnable

Mon Apr 17 06:52:29 UTC 2017

Back in 2012 I shared some citations for the quotation in the subject
line. Now I've located an earlier close match in a letter sent to the
editors of "The Western Daily Press" in Bristol, England in 1902. The
subject was the standardization of equipment for golf, and the word
"amusement" was employed to avoid terms such as "intercourse" or
"sex". In addition, the taboos of the era dictated the replacement of
"damnable" by dashes:

[ref] 1902 November 20, The Western Daily Press, Correspondence To The
Editors of The Western Daily Press, (Letter Title: Standardisation of
the Golf Ball, Letter From: W.L.B. of Clifton; Letter Date: November
17, 1902), Quote Page 3, Column 7, Bristol, England. (British
Newspaper Archive)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
If there is to be no limit to the fancy or ingenuity of club and ball
makers, I am afraid the dictum of a certain American, speaking of
another amusement, will be applicable to golf, viz., "that the
pleasure is momentary, the attitudes ridiculous, and the expense
-----"
[End excerpt]

An article is now available in the QI website:

The Pleasure Is Momentary, the Position Is Ridiculous, the Expense Is Damnable
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/04/16/pleasure/

Feedback welcome
Garson