[Ads-l] 192 = 1902

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 19 21:05:16 UTC 2017

This has come here in the past, as in this 2010 thread:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2010-January/095487.html

As I said there, the "nineteen two" formulation seems to have been quite
common -- perhaps the most common way to say the name of the year at the
time. I found evidence for it from class cheers and other sources when I
looked into the matter in aught one:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.usage.english/msg/e8a4080f14289670

Based on our previous discussion, I think either "nineteen two" or
"nineteen and two" would've been more common at the time than "nineteen oh
two" (or "nineteen aught two" for that matter).