[Ads-l] My ADS posts often appear garbled, so i'm resending Dictionaries are trending one last time.

Baron, Dennis E debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Sun Apr 23 04:46:55 UTC 2017

For some readers, my ads-l posts appear as gibberish, though when I look at them on the ads website's archive, they look just fine.

I don't know why this happens. I've tried unformatted tex, deleting anything that a server might not be able to handle, and typing directly into the body of the email instead of cutting and pasting.

It occurs to me now that it could be the way the server handles apple mail. In any case, I am trying for a third time, using webmail instead of apple mail. If this doesn't work, maybe someone else can troubleshoot the problem.

Of course the real problem could be that my prose is garbled to begin with, but I'd at least like you to be able to read it and judge for yourselves.

Anyway, here goes nothing:

There’s a new post on the Web of Language:

Dictionaries are trending.

When people don’t understand something in the news, they no longer wait for the Sunday talk shows to tell them what it means, or the next issue of Time, or even the Daily Show. With just a click, they look it up in the dictionary.

Read the full post at bit.ly/2q2p3na<http://bit.ly/2q2p3na>