[Ads-l] Thirty Days Hath Septober

Sun Apr 23 17:11:52 UTC 2017

Apparently, the joke evolved over many years. Below is a citation from
1899 for the wordplay that transforms "November" to "no wonder".

Year: 1899 Copyright
Title: Encyclopedia of Comedy: For Professional Entertainers, Social
Clubs, Comedians, Lodges and All who are in Search of Humorous
Literature
Author: J. Melville Janson  (James Melville Janson)
Publisher: David McKay, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Chapter; Sketches
Quote Page 467

https://books.google.com/books?id=tUAOAAAAIAAJ&q=%22and+no+wonder%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Steve (excitedly).---Thirty days hath September, April, June and November.

Andy.---Liar! thirty months hath September, April, June and no wonder
(takes his hat, throws it on the floor excitedly, Steve looks at Andy
with astonishment and taps him on the forehead, says, Andy nothing
there, all exit, all gone. Business of gesticulating.)
[End excerpt]

Garson O'Toole