[Ads-l] Interesting "compromise"

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Tue Apr 25 21:34:14 UTC 2017

I heard a version of this item on local Boston radio a couple of days ago, and the quote in question is accurate in this transcript of a Minneapolis TV broadcast:

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — What 16-year-old Amaiya Zafar loves to do is throw punches. But when the young boxer steps into the south Minneapolis gym where she trains, she’s not only sparring with a partner – the teenager is also out to change the rules of the sport.

“I’m a boxer and you’re going to tell me I can’t box?” said Amaiya.

Being a devout Muslim, Amaiya wears a traditional hijab, long sleeves and leggings out of respect for her faith.

But the rules of USA Boxing dictate not in the ring during sanctioned competitions. The rule was designed to protect boxers from injuries and to allow referees to see any obvious injuries.

“That did feel like injustice. I was like I paid to be a member of USA Boxing but I don’t get to compete — that didn’t feel right,” Amaiya said.

So Amaiya decided to spar with the very rules of the sport. She and her family and supporters have spent the past couple of years trying to convince administrators of the long male-dominated sport to change.

“Why should I have to compromise the sport that I love, this is my life, I go to the gym every single day, why should I have to compromise that for my religion,” Amaiya asks.  [Italics added.]

Can be viewed and heard at http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/04/23/muslim-boxer-hijab/

Ms. Zafar sees being forced to remove her hijab as compromising her boxing (her "life"), not as compromising her religion.

Joel