[Ads-l] New to me: _spearphishing_

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 26 07:11:17 UTC 2017

Wilson, you pegged it as "new jargon" back in '08:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2008-April/081005.html

Still new-ish! It's come up a few times on the list since then, most
recently in 2015:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2015-February/135914.html

In that thread Garson dates it back to 2004. The cite below looks to be
misdated by Google Books -- searches within the text reveal that the
edition was actually published in 2006. "Spear phishing" isn't in the 1997
original or the 2003 edition:

https://books.google.com/books?id=PLcjAQAAMAAJ
https://books.google.com/books?id=YQVK4rZmOaYC