[Ads-l] Request help with French: Quote: An empty carriage drove up to the stage door and Sarah Bernhardt alighted

Sat Apr 29 19:51:45 UTC 2017

An empty taxi drew up outside 10 Downing Street and Clement Attlee got
out of it.

The statement above is often attributed to Winston Churchill although
Churchill quotation expert Richard M. Langworth labels it apocryphal.
I've been asked to explore this topic, so I've been examining
precursors.

Small and thin individuals have sometimes been targeted with quips
that follow the same template. Here is an instance aimed at the French
actress Sarah Bernhardt.

[ref] 1879 May 31, Buffalo Commercial Advertiser, Table Talk, Quote
Page 2, Column 4, Buffalo, New York. (Newspapers_com)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
. . . but only yesterday, says a correspondent, you may read in the
same paper a fragment of conversation as follows: "An empty carriage
stops, and who is it who steps out? Sarah Bernhardt."
[End excerpt]

Perhaps some list member can help me with the French in the following.
I think it may contain a similar joke.