[Ads-l] [BEWARE-SUSPECTED SPAM]slown

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 3 02:20:05 UTC 2017

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 10:13 PM, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at MST.EDU> wrote:
>
> There's show, past participle: shown (and: showed).
>
> There's also (to) slow. So by analogy with shown, we sometimes
>
> get slown.
>

> GC

Doesn’t explain why the vast preponderance of instances of “slown” are in the context of “slown down”, as I noted upthread.  If analogy with “shown” were the only factor or even the primary factor, there would be no such effect. Note, for example, that with only the analogy with “shown” we would expect to get a passive frame like “was slown up” (6 hits) as easily as “was slown down” (90 hits).

LH