[Ads-l] shoot one's wad (1860)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 7 19:19:19 UTC 2017

> On Aug 7, 2017, at 3:00 PM, Charles C Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
>
> Not to mention "Keep your pecker up."
>

> —Charlie

Interesting.  The web hits ascribe the non-sexual meanings (where a pecker is a mouth or face, as in “keep your chin up”) to British usage, while the genital meaning is ascribed to U.S. usage.  But while Farmer & Henley, hardly American-based, does gloss “keep your pecker up” as ‘to be of good heart’, “pecker” itself has three senses listed in F&H:

1. The appetite
2. Courage; spirits; good cheer.
3. The penis

LH

P.S.  Just thought to check OED, and sure enough, while it has cites back to 1845 for “keep…pecker up” under sense 4: “courage, resolution”, it identifies sense 5, ‘the penis’, as “chiefly U.S.”  But curiously the only cite predating Henry Miller--

1936   H. Miller Black Spring 142   Ought to stand on Times Square with my pecker in my hand and piss in the gutter.

--is, yes, that same 1902 entry in Farmer & Henley, which is presumably U.K. rather than U.S., although no cite is given.

Now if HDAS just went to P...