[Ads-l] Heard: "The thing is, is...

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 14 07:05:55 UTC 2017

there's problems on both sides."

I would say,

"The thing is, is that there're problems on both sides."

It seems to me that black speakers use _that_ more often than white people
do. But, that's no more than a feeling and I have nothing to back up this
impression. My best "evidence," using the term loosely, is that, in R&B
songs of my day, singers allow _that_ to surface, even when the
non-deletion of _that_ destroys the rhythm of a line.

Further affiant sayeth not.

--
-Wilson
-----