[Ads-l] RES: "Bullshit" ca1879

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Thu Aug 17 22:30:57 UTC 2017

So, the article says Holliday was considered "shiftless, bagged-legged..."
anyone have any idea what bagged-legged means? The newspaper thought people
would know, so it must have been in use, but I can't find that it ever
appeared anywhere but in that article. OED have it?
DAD

Poster:       Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: "Bullshit" ca1879
---

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 12:46 PM, Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

> In 1881, the Las Vegas Daily Optic gave his name as "Bull Shank Jack"
> and several other papers followed suit.
>
> ---
> The Times (Philadelphia, Pa.), May 2, 1881, p. 4, col. 2 "Slap Jack
> Bill," "Fly Speck Sam" and "Bull Shank Jack" all came to Las Vegas
> about the time the railroad got here, and were soon run in the quay on
> the charge of train and coach robbery.
> https://www.newspapers.com/image/53107273/
> ---
>
> (Can't find the original version of this in the Optic -- the OCR for
> it on NewspaperArchive is pretty terrible.)

Here's the original article with "Bull Shank Jack," which was widely
circulated:

"The Fellows With Names," Las Vegas (N.M.) Daily Optic, Apr. 21, 1881, p.
1, col. 1-2

https://newspaperarchive.com/ben-zimmer-crime-clipping-apr-21-1881-364925/
https://newspaperarchive.com/las-vegas-daily-optic-apr-21-1881-p-1/

--bgz

---
Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.