[Ads-l] Heard on a "judge=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=9D_?=show:

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 27 19:27:15 UTC 2017

Interesting! I did a quick general Googling and got 818,000 hits, with the
vastly-overwhelming majority being literal use, plus a few people asking
what the phrase meant, and this one:

The Joker vs. Pinhead : whowouldwin - Reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/whowouldwin/comments/2nhv2f/the_joker_vs_pinhead/
Nov 26, 2014 - 2 posts - ‎1 author
"Enough!!!" The room darkened as Pin Head stood." I have grown weary of
your speech my head aches with your idiocy”
“Well I suppose we could just _put a pin in it_”.
. . .

" I understand the Joke" Pin Head said his eyes widened slightly, The Joker
taken aback listened to the Cenobite " My head has 130 pins and when I said
you made it ache you responded with _put a pin in it_ which is also _a
common phrase associated with moving on or putting something on hold_"

GBooks has only ten hits, none relevant.

FWIW, my mother’s dates are 1913-2010.

On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Joe Salmons <jsalmons at wisc.edu> wrote:

> Rachel Maddow regularly uses ‘put a pin in it’, I think in the meaning
> ‘don’t forget about this … we’re going to come back to it later’.
>

> > On Aug 26, 2017, at 2:11 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> >
> > Spoken by a forty-ish black woman, one of three judges, the other two
> being
> > white, who work as a team:
> >
> > “Let me put another pin in it [= “this decision”].” I.e., “Let me add a
> > codicil to our final decision.”
> >
> > This reminded me of an expression that my mother, 1913-2010, used to use:
> > _put a pin it_ ”end a discussion or an activity.” Or, as Archie used to
> > say, “Stifle!”
> >
> > --
> > -Wilson
> > -----
> > All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint to
> > come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> > -Mark Twain

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain