[Ads-l] Bastich

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 28 17:04:07 UTC 2017

I see the "bastard"/"bitch" blend suggested on Urban Dictionary and
elsewhere, but I don't think there's necessarily a "bitch" element there --
it's just one of many playful variations on "bastard." "Bastich" appeared
in the '80s in DC Comics series featuring the character Lobo, aka "The
Ultimate Bastich." Lobo was known for hurling insults like "Rot in hell, ya
bastich."

Similarly, in the 1984 film "Johnny Dangerously," the character Roman
Moroni used the word "bastage" (as in "You fargin sneaky bastage"). I've
also seen it spelled as "bastige" or "bastidge".