[Ads-l] American sauce

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 31 02:12:14 UTC 2017

> On Aug 30, 2017, at 9:01 PM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> https://www.wspspolem.com.pl/en/products/kielecki-sauce/kielecki-american-sauce/
>
> Looks like mustard without the mustard seed…

Well, maybe, but

"curry powder,…, black pepper, chilli pepper, ginger powder, nutmeg"

aren’t normally found in mustard.  I don’t know what makes this American sauce specifically—but maybe it’s all the additional chemicals listed among the ingredients.

I remember reading that “homard à l’américaine” (‘lobster with American sauce’), found on many traditional French menus at least a few decades ago, originated as a reanalysis of “à l’amoricaine” (Breton-style), as in the recipe at http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/dining/lobster-a-larmoricaine-recipe.html. On the other hand I’ve also read that it was the other way around, so that “l’amoricaine” would be playing the role of the Welsh rarebit in an etymythological entertainment.  In any case, I suppose we should take Kielecki at their word and accept that the curry-pepper-chili-ginger-nutmeg sauce is indeed as amerykanski as you can get.

LH