[Ads-l] Drama Critic Motto: Leave no turn unstoned

Mon Dec 4 02:35:19 UTC 2017

Ben Zimmer wrote:
> (Garson -- I read your QI piece, but I don't see the 1953 example
> you mention.)

Below is what I currently say about the "tern" variant in the QI
article. I hope to access Ogden Nash's 1953 collection soon and update
the article. Nash's book is called "The private dining room and other
new verses".

[Begin excerpt from QI article]
In 1953 poet Ogden Nash released a book of light verse, and a
columnist in the “Detroit Free Press” of Michigan highlighted a
variation of the expression under analysis:  10

[Begin excerpt from Detroit Free Press]
In his new book he speaks of stoning seabirds and claims that when he
indulges in this pastime, he “leaves no tern unstoned.” Anyone who can
think up a crack like that commands our undying gratitude.
[End excerpt from Detroit Free Press]

[End excerpt from QI article]

[Begin Note 10 from QI article]
1953 April 13, Detroit Free Press, Resort News Turns Mind to Summer by
Laurena Pringle, Quote Page 17, Column 6, Detroit, Michigan.
(Newspapers_com)
[End Note 10 from QI article]

Garson