[Ads-l] Drama Critic Motto: Leave no turn unstoned

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 4 17:20:17 UTC 2017

> Then there’s the joke and/or shaggy dog story with the punchline “Leave
no tern unstoned”.  Wonder how far back that one goes?
> There must be a whole inventory of these reversals, ranging from “Time
wounds all heels” to the (real or faux) Dorothy Parker bon mot “Tell him
I’m too fucking busy and vice versa”...

We had at least 2 - "It was either Nate or lever." and "Don't hatchet your
counts before they chicken."  And our "shaggy dog" jokes actually involved
a shaggy dog (and a brick and a cigar), one part was told (concerning the
bricks) to no punchline and later, as many hours/days/week as the teller
could stand it, the second part connected the whole mess.

On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> Then there’s the joke and/or shaggy dog story with the punchline “Leave no
> tern unstoned”.  Wonder how far back that one goes?
> There must be a whole inventory of these reversals, ranging from “Time
> wounds all heels” to the (real or faux) Dorothy Parker bon mot “Tell him
> I’m too fucking busy and vice versa”...
>
> LH
>
> > On Dec 3, 2017, at 11:45 AM, ADSGarson O'Toole <
> adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> >
> > The Quote Investigator website now has an entry about the wordplay in
> > the subject line which is often attributed to George Bernard Shaw.
> >
> > https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/12/02/unstoned/
> >
> > The earliest pertinent evidence I've found is a joke containing the
> > phrase "they left no turn unstoned" in "The Daily Northwestern" of
> > Oshkosh, Wisconsin on August 29, 1899 with an acknowledgment to the
> > "Catholic Standard and Times". I haven't found a digital archive for
> > the "Catholic Standard and Times".
> >
> > Chronicling America seems to say that University of Notre Dame in
> > Indiana has it on microfilm, but searching would be difficult because
> > the date above is simply an upper bound.
> >
> > https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn97016042/holdings/
> >
> > Reference works contain a 1950 citation for George Bernard Shaw and a
> > 1946 citation for Arthur Wimperis. The QI article has 1914 citation
> > for Wimperis but nothing earlier for Shaw.
> >
> > Feedback welcome
> > Garson O'Toole
> > QuoteInvestigator.com

Andy Bach,