[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] Re: stumbling stone

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 15 20:51:14 UTC 2017

> a Kentucky farmer is far more likely to be influenced by the use of the
phrase in Christian
> doctrine than in Jewish doctrine.

You never know. In Catholicism - and Catholics are traditionally supposed
not to be Bible-readers - the Old Testament is held to be full of
"foreshadowings" that demonstrate the truth of the New Testament, hence the
truth of the One, True Faith. The OT, for all practical, theological
purposes, has nothing to do with Jewish doctrine. Rather, it's the
backstory of the NT. And, if there's anything in the OT that is even
tangentially relevant to Christian doctrine, it was noticed and noted a
thousand years before Luther. Cf., e.g. Melchizedek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melchizedek

Old Testament lines matter.

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 11:45 AM, MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY
RDECOM AMRDEC (US) <william.d.mullins18.civ at mail.mil> wrote:

> > Isn't "stumbling block" in the Old Testament, too? (Leviticus 19:14)
> >

> Yes, it is, but I'd bet a Kentucky farmer is far more likely to be
> influenced by the use of the phrase in Christian doctrine than in Jewish
> doctrine.
> Which is why I only mentioned the New Testament.
>

> > DanG
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 11:21 AM, MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY
> RDECOM AMRDEC (US) <william.d.mullins18.civ at mail.mil>

> > > putting "stumbling stones" in the path of the president.

> > > Probably related to the "stumbling block" of the New Testament.

> > > The American Dialect Society - Caution-http://www.americandialect.org

> > The American Dialect Society - Caution-http://www.americandialect.org

-Wilson
-----