[Ads-l] _try to_ vs. _try and_

Sat Dec 16 16:34:39 UTC 2017

Margaret Lee wrote:
>  Yes, I was taught to use 'try to' rather than 'try and'.   The old 'proper English' mandate,
> but what exactly is 'proper English'?  Who decides what is 'proper'?   Are any of you
> familiar with the Max Weinreich quote:  "A language is a dialect with an army an
> a navy" ?

The quotation linked to Max Weinreich was mentioned in this mailing
list back in 2014 by Neal Whitman who saw it mentioned in the Boston
Glob:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2014-March/131635.html

Alice Faber and Ben Zimmer commented, and Ben pointed to a pertinent
tweet by Amanda Katz:

https://twitter.com/katzish/status/445650442509639680

The tweet pointed to a note in the journal Language and Society:

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=4180952

The journal printed an excerpt from a Yiddish mailing list which gives
a citation. Apparently, Weinreich employed the saying but he credited
a young man who came to his lectures. The note further states that
Joshua Fishman believes he may have been the young man.

Garson