[Ads-l] _try to_ vs. _try and_

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 18 18:19:46 UTC 2017

> They all say "try and" over there, as well as "different to" (not from or
than).

I haven't beao there, but that's certainly what I hear on TV and what I
heard from British soldiers in my Army days. One of them was a Capt.
Conybeare, of the Durham Light Infantry.  I'd never heard that name before
and I haven't heard it since. Didn't many members of that family emigrate
to the Colonies, I reckon.

Off topic: Capt. Conybeare wore a maroon "berry," as they pronounce
_beret_, as his uniform headgear. This beret was apparently peculiar to the
Durham Lt. Inf., since the other officers wore the usual British version of
the "flying saucer." And, of course, he used the British Army's
palm-outward salute. Both of these things were considered to be pretty
cool. So, the captain and other British officers were always rendered the
U.S. hand salute by the troops. OTOH, saluting American officers was
considered to be uncool, for some reason unknown to me, by the white
troops, who made every possible effort to avoid saluting American officers,
greatly annoying them.

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain