[Ads-l] stand up = establish

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 18 20:38:52 UTC 2017

> Andrew Masanto, 46:30
… in these organizations, they’re standing up their own nodes...

using "stand up" for installing or "bringing up" stuff is pretty common in
the IT world; for an actual single piece of hardware ("We'll be working
late as we're standing up a new server tonight.") or a collection of
hardware and software, as in a new network.

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The English Oxford Living Dictionaries (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/
> definition/stand_up <https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/stand_up>)
> provides one definition for “stand up”: remain valid after close scrutiny
> or analysis
>
> Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/stand_up <
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/stand_up>) provides eight, three of which
> are transitive. The last one is labeled as “US, military”, which, based on
> the sample sentence, might mean “US military”: To formally activate and
> commission (a unit, formation, etc.).
>
> In a video hosted by Demetri Kofinas titled, "The Future is not
> Blockchain. It's Hashgraph.”, the expression “stand up” is used at least
> three times. Perhaps significantly, the CEO Mance Harmon has a military
> background, which might be where Andrew Masanto got it.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evWBgNdWNDk <https://www.youtube.com/
> watch?v=evWBgNdWNDk>
>
> Mance Harmon, about 45:00:
> And—and then in May of this year, the industry decided to stand up a new
> organization.
>
> Andrew Masanto, 46:30
> … in these organizations, they’re standing up their own nodes...
>
> Benjamin Barrett
> Formerly of Seattle, WA

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com