[Ads-l] stand up = establish

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 18 21:13:45 UTC 2017

> What does “bring up” mean?

Same thing ;-> - Turning on the power, connecting the network cables,
installing software, attaching peripherals (printers, tape drives, external
storage), taping quotes from Knuth or xkcd comics to the the front panel -
the various steps needed to get from the cardboard boxes to a working
system for the first time.  It might literally include standing up the
"rack", a tall metal cage that allows a number of "blade" or single (or
multiple) "U" (for "unit" where each rack is a number of "U" tall - the
number of slots to hold equipment) sized pieces of equipment to be inserted
(see an image at:
http://www.ironsystems.com/products/rack-stack-services
) as some systems might come pre-installed in a rack and we have to wheel
that in, unbox it and stand the whole thing upright. I don't think that's
the reason for the term, I'd go with it mimicking the military use.

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell
608 261-5738 wk