[Ads-l] gearhead (1967, 1973)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 29 18:08:57 UTC 2017

Thanks, Garson. Here's a direct link to the page image for the 1972 example.

http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%2018/Virden%20IL%20Reporter/Virden%20IL%20Recorder%201972/Virden%20IL%20Recorder%201972%20-%200318.pdf

I agree it might be a bit ambiguous, but a later hit for "gearhead" from
the same source makes it clear that we're talking about car enthusiasts of
the hot-rodder variety.

Virden (Ill.) Recorder, Sept. 19, 1974, p. 6A
The cars will be wacky, weird, or just plain old "gearhead" cars.
http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%2018/Virden%20IL%20Reporter/Virden%20IL%20Recorder%201974/Virden%20IL%20Recorder%201974%20-%201003.pdf