[Ads-l] Joan of Arc Quote

Sat Dec 30 07:10:39 UTC 2017

Dear ADS list members,
 To avoid duplication of efforts, below are the responses to Fred's
request that appeared on a different mailing list.

From: Kevin O'Kelly
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 10:10 PM

Fred that is a really interesting question. I am no expert on medieval
French history (or any other kind of history, for that matter) but I imagine
the earliest possible source for that would be The Trial of Rehabilitation.
I am traveling until Dec. 26 and don't like reading long documents on an
iPad, but if no one beats me to it I will see what I can do Dec 27.

Best,
Kevin

from: T.F. Mills
date: Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 9:55 PM

The original is in the 1456 nullification or rehabilitation trial,
specifically the deposition of Henri de Royer with whom Jeanne stayed
a few weeks at Vancouleurs in 1429.  The trial transcript
is in Latin (Henri speaking of Jeanne in third person):

"Respondebat quod non timebat armatos, quia habebat viam suam
expeditam; quia, si
armati essent par viam, habebat Deum Dominum suum, qui sibi faceret
viam ad eundum
juxta dominum Dalphinum, et quod erat nata ad hoc faciendum."

Apparently reliable secondary source for that:

https://uclue.com/?xq=861

(You might want to google Latin phrases to see if primary source is online.)

There have been numerous French translations as the language evolved
(often rendered as
Jeanne speaking in first person.)  I think the earliest I saw was
1661.  The most extensive
documentation is at:

http://www.stejeannedarc.net/

Go to "recherches".  I tried the phrase "que je suis née" and got 3
hits pertaining to the
Vancouleurs encounter.  You might try variations.

An extensive documentation site in English provides this (see under
Henri le Royer):

http://www.stjoan-center.com/Trials/null04.html

(You might want to explore further for an attribution of the translation.)

T.F. Mills
(Colorado, USA)

from: Daphne Drewello
date: Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 11:42 PM

Maybe this will help.  It gives the quotation in the Latin of the trial and
the translation into French.  (Last sentence in X and Super X)

http://www.stejeannedarc.net/rehabilitation/dep_henri_royer.php

Needless to say, I could never have found this without Kevin's post.  C'est
un miracle de Noel.

Daphne Drewello
Jamestown, ND

from: John Cowan
date: Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 11:24 PM

Except for a few letters signed "Jehanne", the only authentic report of
anything said by Joan is the Latin transcript of her trial, at which she
was called as a witness.  Here are citations for the English and French
translations:

   - *The trial of Joan of Arc : being the verbatim report of the
   proceedings from the Orleans manuscript*. trans. Scot, W.S. London:
   Folio Society. 1956. OCLC <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCLC> 1182797
   <https://www.worldcat.org/oclc/1182797>.
   - *Le procès de condamnation et le procès de réhabilitation de Jeanne
   d'Arc. L'histoire en appel*. trans. Oursel, Raymond. Paris: Éditions
   Denoël. 1959. OCLC <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCLC> 1823703
   <https://www.worldcat.org/oclc/1823703>.

from: Perisho, Steve
date: Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 10:15 AM

Just seeing this.  It looks like Kevin, Daphne, and T. F. have already
nailed it, but if you want to see this in the major critical editions
in print rather than in a transcription of them online, see the final
paragraph of my post on a different Joan of Arc quotation here, where
I link to the critical edition of the 19th century (available onlilne
via the Hathi Trust), and give the editors of the one of 1952-1961,
citing that marvelous key to primary sources, the 3rd rev.2005 edition
of the Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church:

https://liberlocorumcommunium.blogspot.com/2017/01/about-jesus-christ-and-church-i-simply.html

Steve Perisho
Theology and Philosophy Librarian
Seattle Pacific University