[Ads-l] Of age (P.S.)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 9 01:07:49 UTC 2017

It occurs to me that it’s usually “a woman of a certain age” rather than “a man…", and I can confirm that there are also a lot of hits for “a (wo)man of uncertain age”, whether resulting from mishearings or puns.  None of this necessarily relates directly to “a (wo)man/person of age”, of course.  (Is there any evidence that “of a certain age” began as a calque on the French counterpart “d’un certain âge”?)

LH