[Ads-l] "Human computer" as retronym & Hidden Figures

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 10 19:51:56 UTC 2017

Inspired by this thread, I wrote my latest WSJ column on "Hidden Figures"
and the word "computer":

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hidden-figures-days-whencomputerswere-people-1486743526

As usual, if you hit the paywall, you can get around it by Googling the
headline or following a social media link, like this one:

https://twitter.com/bgzimmer/status/830137529940713472

Thanks to "proud mom" Margaret Lee, I was able to connect to Margot Lee
Shetterly to get more historical insights. I highly recommend her book! The
movie is very enjoyable, but it takes a lot of liberties with the actual
history. For instance, in 1961 the West Area Computing Unit (shown in the
movie with the "Colored Computers" sign) no longer existed -- Langley's
segregated facilities were abolished in 1958 when NACA became NASA, and the
(human) computers were integrated into other divisions.

--bgz