[Ads-l] QOTY candidate...

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 13 13:01:31 UTC 2017

…or is it disqualified because of the contest rules?  Anyway, a good one:

“The information we share is relevant in a new way that gets more attention,” Ms. Naturale wrote in an email forwarded by Merriam-Webster’s publicist. “There’s also a sense that we’re increasingly divided, and the dictionary’s role is to help people communicate with each other.”

This is not the only role, of course. Mr. Sheidlower, the lexicographer, said: “In times of stress, people will go to things that will provide answers. The Bible, the dictionary or alcohol.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/11/fashion/merriam-webster-dictionary-social-media-politics.html <https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/11/fashion/merriam-webster-dictionary-social-media-politics.html>

LH