[Ads-l] Question About Grace Murray Hopper As Word-Coiner

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 13 20:11:31 UTC 2017

The relevant claim from the press release in today’s Yale News clips, which seems to me to be misleading at best in implying a moth-“(de)-bug” connection:

One evening in 1945 while working on the Mark II, Hopper and her colleagues encountered a problem. They took the machine apart and found a large moth. Although the term “bug” had been used by engineers since the 19th century to describe a mechanical malfunction, Hopper was the first to refer to a computer problem as a “bug” and to speak of “debugging” a computer.

http://news.yale.edu/2017/02/10/grace-murray-hopper-1906-1992-legacy-innovation-and-service

My spidey sense leads me to anticipate an upcoming Yale Alumni News column from Fred...

LH