[Ads-l] Famous Pogo Quote

Thu Feb 16 03:48:52 UTC 2017

When I was a boy, Albert the Alligator was one of my role models.  I
thought that he was an alligator with savoir faire.

As a result, I have bought Pogo by Walt Kelly: Through the Wild Blue
Yonder.  The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips, volume 1.  The quotation is
there, on p. 131, in a strip dated 6-24 [1950]  It's spoken by Porkypine.
The strip began in May 1949, so there's only a narrow window for an earlier
appearance.  In the interest of the advancement of knowledge, I will reread
the earlier strips.

GAT

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 10:13 PM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu>
wrote:

> One of the best-known quotations from the comic strip "Pogo" was "Don't
> take life so serious, son -- it ain't nohow permanent."  I am trying to
> trace the date of the first "Pogo" installment to include this quote.  When
> I search Newspapers.com, I come up with an appearance of these words in the
> Long Beach Independent, June 24, 1950.  Can anyone confirm or disconfirm
> whether that was the first appearance?
>

> Fred Shapiro
>
> ________________________________

George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- affectionately (of course) known as The Dunghill
Toadstool.
(Here's a picture of one.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851