[Ads-l] "snow farm", not in OED; 1970--? Bostonism?

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 16 21:12:46 UTC 2017

The surprising thing to me about "snow farm" as used in Boston snowplow business is that it is where the snow is taken to die - not a place where snow is taken from, as in most of the other "... farms".

A 1998 example relating to the Monarch ski area in Colorado uses "snow farm" as a place where they dig up snow to build roads and ramps for their snow-cats. Santa Fe New Mexican, February 26, 1998, page 16 (newspapers.com).

And before electrical distribution and refrigeration became widespread, there was "ice farming". Numerous examples in chroniclingamerica.loc.gov, for example: The Diamond Drill (Crystal Falls, MI, MI), March 28, 1896, page 4: "Ice harvesting here is finished, and all available space has been filled with fine clear ice.  Trippley and Trombley did most of the ice farming."

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 11:30 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "snow farm", not in OED; 1970--? Bostonism?

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>

John Baker initiated a thread on "snow farm" back in March 2015 when
he offered the term as 2015 Word of the Year and listed some
citations:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2015-March/136151.html

Other phrases were mentioned: ice farm, body farm, fuel farm.

Garson

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Joel Berson <berson at att.net> wrote:
> Does it go back to the older sense of "to farm" as "to collect taxes, fee=
s, etc."?

> Joel

e junkyards =E2=80=9Ccar farms=E2=80=9D?  And town dumps =E2=80=9Cgarbage f=
arms=E2=80=9D?  And sewers =E2=80=9Cunderwater waste farms=E2=80=9D?  Who s=
ays farming is in trouble?

> LH
>
>> On Feb 16, 2017, at 11:23 AM, Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
>>
>> A quick peek into the Boston Globe shows an instance on Jan. 21,1970, in=
 a picture caption:

>> "Boston's snow farm in the Seaport District kept getting bigger."
>>
>> Another winter storm slams Boston (Photo 4 of 57) - Pictures - The Bosto=
n Globe

>> |  |    |

>> |  |
>> Another winter storm slams Boston (Photo 4 of 57) - Pictures - The Bosto=
n ...
>>  |  |

>> And there are many instances from the notorious season of 2014--2015.
>>
>> Google Books seems tedious, since (as far as I know) it doesn't respect =
capitalization.

>> The "Lexicon" column in today's Boston Globe defines it as "Where blizza=
rds go to die."  Is it a Bostonism?

>> Joel

American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
www.americandialect.org
The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other ...