[Ads-l] Pogo on intelligent life in the universe

Thu Feb 16 23:10:45 UTC 2017

Thanks for your insights, John.  Also, thanks to GAT and Robin
Hamilton for Pogo information off list.

The Pogo comic strip about extraterrestrial life was remembered in an
article published in "The New York Review of Books" dated April 29,
2004 titled "Stumbling into Space" by Timothy Ferris. The correct text
of the strip was given in a footnote. Interestingly, the publication
date specified for the strip was rather late: July 28, 1973. In fact,
the strip from 1959 was reprinted on that 1973 date. Full copies of
the strip on both dates are viewable via newspapers.com for
subscribers. For example: Type "July 28, 1973 Pogo" in the search slot
and select an appropriate match.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2004/04/29/stumbling-into-space/

[Begin footnote 6]
Porkypine: "I been readin' 'bout how maybe they is planets peopled by
folks with advanced brains. On the other hand, maybe we got the most
brains… maybe our intellects is the universe’s most advanced. Either
way, it’s a mighty soberin' thought." Pogo, July 28, 1973.
[End excerpt]

The Way Back Machine has a snapshot from a website called
halexandria.org  on June 4, 2003 that shows the modern version of the
quotation was in circulation at that time. A Usenet post from 2004
referred to this website.

https://web.archive.org/web/20030604045335/http://www.halexandria.org/dward370.htm

[Begin excerpt]
An additional famous quote from Kelly was Porky Porcupine -- in
commenting on the possibilities/probabilities of extraterrestrials --
said, “Thar’s only two possibilities:  Thar is life out there in the
universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent
life in the universe.  Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought.”
[End excerpt]

Garson