[Ads-l] _splib_

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 22 00:44:29 UTC 2017

Speaking of which, more or less, there was this in Anu Garg’s A Word A Day post today (wordsmith.org):

copacetic or copasetic

PRONUNCIATION:
(ko-puh-SE-tik)

MEANING:
adjective: Excellent; satisfactory; OK.

ETYMOLOGY:
Of obscure origin. Competing theories attribute its origin to Black English, Louisiana French, Italian, Yiddish, and Hebrew, but evidence is lacking. Earliest documented use: 1919.

And yes, the OED does have a first cite from 1919, from American journalist Irving Batcheller’s _A Man for the Ages: A Story of the Builders of Democracy_.  In fact, the trajectory attested by the OED entry makes it seem to me strongly likely that this is originally a Black English word, which is what I had always assumed, but it’s curious that it’s still “o.o.o.” and that those other theories (Italian? Hebrew? Yiddish? Really?) are out there.

Just checked HDAS, where I see Jon does indeed determine that “copacetic” is “not, as sometimes claimed, fr. Heb., It., or Louisiana Fr.”, but still deems it origin unknown.

Can anyone (Jon? Wilson?) help clarify the story?

LH