[Ads-l] dead fucking boring - infix diagnostic

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Thu Feb 23 09:36:52 UTC 2017

Could what is happening here be described as the use of a double intensifier?

1. Simple Statement -- "That's boring."

2a. Single Intensifier (1) -- "That's dead boring."

2b. Single Intensifier (2) -- "That's fucking boring."

3a. Double Intensifier (1) -- "That's dead fucking boring."

3b. Double Intensifier (2) -- "That's fucking dead boring."

I'm inclined to think that 3b is invalid -- it rings off to me.  Or at least
that 3a and 3b should be analysed differently, whereby 3a involves an inter-term
in a strongly bound colocation -- "dead [fucking] boring" -- whereas 3b is an
example of an intensifier applied to a phrase rather than to a single word --
"fucking [dead boring]".

Robin.