[Ads-l] copasetic, copacetic

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Feb 24 11:33:52 UTC 2017

The Aug. 21, 1920 Chicago [Illinois; Daily] Tribune (and reprints) use of "Very Copasetic" has been mentioned before on this list (by Barry and by me). As noted before, the original [London] Times advert appeared Thursday, Jul 22, 1920; pg. 4; col. 2; Issue 42469. Indeed, as Garson mentioned, the "Very Copasetic" heading [The Times head was "Continental"] was added in the Chicago Tribune, a newspaper that gave the best-seller (and serialized) _A Man For the Ages_ a favorable review (on Jan. 24, 1920) and that carried multiple advertisements for it.

As I previously mentioned, note that the spelling matches that in the Bacheller novel (approvingly used there and explained more than once, and also linked by "depth" and by private individual vocabulary with "coralapus," an undisputedly (?) invented word [and perhaps compare Batcheller's Shrimpstone to coralapus]) and that writers of dialog in dialect (such as Eric Walrond [1925] and C. Van Vechten [1926], among many others, plausible readers and/or hearers of a very popular book on Lincoln) were scarcely bound by strict orthography.

I continue to find Bacheller the most probable source.

David L. Gold has pretty well eliminated Hebrew or Yiddish origins in Studies in Etymology and Etiology.... (2009) 57-75.

Of course, a putative verified antedating (not ~"said to be used in the 1800s" nor undocumented early proposed Chinook jargon [northeast?] or the like) would require reanalysis.

Stephen Goranson

http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/

<http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/>

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <...> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <...>
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 5:29 PM
To: ...
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] copasetic, copacetic

The "Vanity Fair" article was reprinted in 1998. Apparently, the
original publication date was March 1925 and the author was Eric
Walrond. The two footnotes below are from the 1998 edition. It is
possible that kopasettee was footnoted in 1925. If there was a
footnote in 1925 I suspect that the footnote text was different. The
OCR text showing an asterisk in 1925 is unreliable.

Year: 1998
Title: "Winds Can Wake Up the Dead": An Eric Walrond Reader