[Ads-l] _-ing_ vs. -_s_

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 25 05:28:47 UTC 2017

Heard and seen (written on a somethingboard, then read aloud):

1) "Enabling irrational activities perpetuates problems, rather than
_solves_ them."

2) "Enabling irrational activities perpetuates problems, rather than
_solving_ them."

I much prefer version (2) and it seems to me that version (1) is an
"incorrect" innovation, though one dekkids old, by now. It further seems to
me that (1) was originated by people thinking that the two verbs should be
structurally parallel, for
some reason, just as people say, "I feel so _badly_ for you," for some
reason, though these same people would never say, "I feel so _goodly_ /so
_well_ for you."

--
-Wilson
-----