[Ads-l] Breakfast

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 26 22:00:44 UTC 2017

> On Feb 26, 2017, at 4:03 PM, Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> When a verb is coined from a noun, the general rule is that the verb is regular (regardless of whether there is an incorporated verb that is irregular or if the form itself is identical to an irregular verb).
>
> If you haven’t read “The Language Instinct” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Language_Instinct <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Language_Instinct>) by Steven Pinker, it’s a good read and he discusses this rule. He notes that in baseball, when a batter hits a fly, the past tense of “to fly” is “flied.”

Well, except when it’s “flew”.  After reading Pinker’s datum, I began collecting instances of announcers mentioning that a batter had “flown out” to left/center/right field until I got tired of doing so.  Probably less frequently than “flied out”, which also beats “flew out” in Google counts (on the relevant sense, ignoring birds that flew out of windows and such), but frequent enough not to be a “mistake”, whatever that would mean.

LH