[Ads-l] Could "check-ed" = r-less "checkered"?

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Wed Jan 4 04:43:14 UTC 2017

I didn't save Wilson's earlier message on the subject, and don't have
time to search for it here, but a thought occurred to me:

To his previously noted pronunciation of "striped" with two syllables,
he added a two-syllable pronunciation of "checked". Just this morning,
my dad talked about getting his "stripe-ed" sweatshirt, so I told him
about Wilson's comments, and he wondered if maybe what Wilson might
actually have heard was an r-less "checkERed", which (I now speculate)
he then assimilated to a small pattern of cloth patterns plus a
separately pronounced "-ed". Wilson, thoughts?

Neal