[Ads-l] 1868 Disraeli-attributed quotation: "...My ancestors were lords of the tabernacle...his were naked savages...."

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Thu Jan 5 14:55:26 UTC 2017

Mr. D'Israeli never forgets--never allows others to forget--that he is of that race whence all our prophets came and Jesus Christ himself was born....

On one occasion, when taunted with being a descendant perhaps of the thief on the cross, he replied, in proud and soul-stirring words, "My blood thrills with the traditions of my race! My ancestors were lords of the tabernacle and princes of Israel when his were naked savages in the woods of Northern Germany."

March, 1868, The Phrenological Journal and Life Illustrated, p. 86 col. 1

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924057441390;view=1up;seq=92

Stephen Goranson

http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/