[Ads-l] "a rich man's war and a poor man's fight"

Sat Jan 7 05:31:23 UTC 2017

Dave Hause wrote:
> Absent an early creation of a time machine, I have to question the
> Janesville Daily Gazette's reporting soldiers recently deserting "from
> Savannah to General Sherman" as Sherman's "March to the Sea" was in
> Nov.-Dec. of 1864.

Thanks for your intriguing remark, Dave. The 1862 citation is from
newspapers.com, and that database does contain misdated newspaper
pages. Indeed, all the databases I use contain some misdated pages.
Hence, I usually try to find the date somewhere on the page scan (or
on a succeeding/preceding page).

March 7, 1962 does seem to be on the page in question. The text is
degraded and the "8" is incomplete. The March 7, 1862 date is
displayed unambiguously on the succeeding page. Here is a link to the
newspaper page that will work for subscribers. Maybe someone else can
study the page to see if some of the reportage is anachronistic:

https://www.newspapers.com/image/73857228/?terms=rich

Perhaps the soldiers were originally from Savannah but deserted to
Sherman in another state?

Garson